September 1, 2005
Fixing Some Issues
I've had a couple of problems with my SUSE 9.3 lately and thought I'd share how they were resolved.
I did a YaST update involving a lot of gtk, Cairo, and GNOME stuff. My sources include all the "Supplementary" sources so they were pretty new for SUSE. The update seemed to go fine, but I quickly found myself in hell because so many applications were refusing to open and YaST was complaining about requiring libcairo.so.1 (an earlier version of Cairo). I rolled Cairo back to the earlier version and was suddenly getting dependency issues with applications needing libcairo.so.2 (the newer version of Cairo).
I assumed it was related to Cairo, but found this thread where other users were having similar problems and had tracked it down to the newer versions of gtk2. So following the advice found in that thread, I rolled gtk2 back to an older version, kept the newer version of Cairo and created symbolic links all over the damn place (a decision which I'm sure will come back to haunt me following some future upgrade).
Today I had another problem with SUSE 9.3 on a different machine. I had to electronically file a report about an employee getting injured at work. Of course the piss-poor site requires IE 5+ ("Upgrade Now!"). So rather than walk across the office to use a Windows box to submit the report, I just went and got the User Agent Switcher Extension; I had used this extension plenty of times before on other machines and I love it. Anyway, about halfway through filing the report, Firefox decides to crash (I still don't know what caused that) and I could not open it again. I opened aterm to start it and got "INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Expected a version >INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Expected a version > 5! Version = 4".
This sounded a lot like a problem possibly caused by the User Agent extension, so I tired to open root's firefox profile and it worked fine. I found this archived on a FC list. Their suggestion worked like a champ. Just open /home/damian/.mozilla/firefox/l9lou6ih.default/prefs.js and remove the line that mentions “useragent”. Open firefox and you should be golden. The last suggestion in the mailing list post I mentioned involves modifying the user agent string so that it says "Mozilla/5.0". I did this and it has worked fine for me.
Oh joy...I just discovered that Konq is refusing to open...if I get that fixed, I'll edit this post to reflect what the problem was. It's odd how two different machines have decided to act up at the same time involving very different issues.
I guess it's late, but Opera was giving away free-beer licenses the other day to celebrate their 10 year anniversary. I like Opera better than Konq, but not as much as Firefox. The primary issue for me is Firefox's open source and countless extensions. Opera on the other hand, is enormously configurable and has always seemed to be the fastest browser for me. Opera is on a very short list of proprietary programs I would consider paying for (back in my MS days, Paint Shop Pro was another).
openSUSE Beta 4 was released today. PlanetSuSE has all the links and info you need.
Posted 15 years, 6 months ago on September 1, 2005
The trackback url for this post is http://www.suseroot.com/blog/bblog/trackback.php/37/